What is new in PRINCE2 7?
The PRINCE2® method came to life in 1996, and has been revised 6 times since then. The newest edition of PRINCE2 – PRINCE2® 7 was released in September 2023 and seeks to respond to a number of changes that have taken place in the world and for the role of project managers in the last years. The previous version was released in 2017 and is referred to as PRINCE2 6th edition.
This article will provide some key differences between PRINCE2® 6th edition and PRINCE2 7.
The Concept of PRINCE2 Project Management
PRINCE2, an acronym for PRojects IN Controlled Environments, is a project management method. PRINCE2 can guide professionals and organisations through the essentials for managing successful projects, regardless of type or scale. It provides a framework that focuses on organisation and control throughout the entire project: PRINCE2 divides projects into manageable stages to encourage efficient control of resources and regular progress monitoring.
PRINCE2 is “product-based”, meaning the project plans are focused on delivering results, and not simply planning when activities will be undertaken; processes cover all the activities that compose a project, from start to finish. Every project starts with a project plan, each stage of the project is clearly structured. It provides a common language across a project and provides breakpoints within a contractual framework.
With PRINCE2 7, there are some new focuses with regards to project management. The method is brought up to speed with the current business environment and it is enhanced in the following ways:
- Emphasizing People: PRINCE2 7 recognizes the vital role of individuals in project success, incorporating a human element into its methodology
- Sustainability in Project Performance: PRINCE2 7 introduces Sustainability as a critical aspect of project performance, aligning projects with environmental and social responsibility goals
- Digital & Data Managementt: It incorporates a digital and data management framework to meet evolving project management needs
- Enhanced Adaptability: PRINCE2 7 offers greater adaptability for customization to specific project contexts, empowering managers to align projects with strategic goals
- Integration with Agile, Lean and ITIL: It provides guidance on not only integrating Agile and other Best Practices, but also on digital transformation projects, fostering collaboration and responsiveness
- Designed for all professionals: including aspiring or experienced project managers, using simplified language and content which makes it more accessible to all
PRINCE2 7 versus PRINCE2 6th Edition
Knowing the new focus that PeopleCert applied to the new version of PRINCE2, below we created a short overview of the main differences between PRINCE2 7 versus PRINCE2 6th edition:
- Integrated elements: PRINCE2 6th edition has four integrated elements (Project Context, Principles, Themes and Processes). PRINCE2 7 has five (People, Project Context, Principles, Practices (previously called Themes) and Processes)
- Performance targets: PRINCE2 6th edition has six performance targets (Benefit, costs, timescales, quality, scope and risk). PRINCE2 7 has seven (Benefit, costs, time, quality, scope, sustainability and risk)
- Delivery method: PRINCE2 6th edition defines two delivery methods: the more traditional waterfall approach and the agile approach, while PRINCE2 7 defines a third possible approach along the other two, called the hybrid approach which combines the linear-sequential and iterative-incremental approaches
- Practices: in PRINCE2 6th edition these were called themes and have been renamed to practices in PRINCE2 7
What did not change in PRINCE2 7?
Looking at all the changes that have taken place in PRINCE2, what did not change in PRINCE2 7 is:
- The fundamental nature of a project which means that projects are temporary, product-oriented, and should be continuously supported by business justification
- The fundamental structure of PRINCE2, with its guiding principles, practices (formerly known as themes), and a set of processes constituting the project lifecycle
PRINCE2 7 FAQ
As we frequently get questions about the updated method, we want to share the two most returning PRINCE2 7 FAQ together with their answer. Please find them below:
- Can a PRINCE2 6th edition certification be updated to PRINCE2 7?
To achieve the PRINCE2 7 certification, the learner needs to pass the PRINCE2 7 exam at the appropriate level.
- Has the format of the PRINCE2 7 exams changed?
For the PRINCE2 7 Foundation examination, there have been no changes made to the format from the previous edition. However, the pass mark has been increased from 55% to 60% (36 correct answers).
The PRINCE2 7 Practitioner level examination will have a total of 70 questions, instead of 68. The pass mark has been increased from 55% to 60%, while the duration of the exam remains 2.5 hours. The exam will be based on one of the four scenarios that are included in the new version of the manual.
In collaboration with PeopleCert, QRP International organised a webinar to talk you through the latest update and explain why now is the best time to get PRINCE2 7 certified. You can rewatch the recording here or download our PRINCE2 7 brochure.